If you are into metal detecting, geo caching or treasure hunting then I would guess at some point in time you would have walked past a river or lake and wondered what treasures are on the bottom of it. Am I right or am I right?
Well magnet fishing is quite possibly the best way to find out! By using very powerful neodymium magnets attached to ropes we can pull up any ferrous metal objects from river bed. One of the best things about treasure hunting with magnets is that you just never know what you are going to pull up next.
What sort of treasure can you find magnet fishing?
Well lets get one thing straight first. You are not going to be finding gold, or silver for that matter! Unfortunately there are no magnets out there that will pick up these metals and in actual fact the only metal that can be picked up is ferrous metals. Ferrous metals are made up of iron which is something we try to discriminate out when metal detecting. Do not worry though there are so many amazing finds to be made that are composed of iron.
Below is a list of the magnet fishing treasures that you can find in rivers, lakes and canals.
- Weapons including knives, guns and crossbows ( often dependant on location these can be very old weapons).
- Bicycles and scooters are quite often found.
- One of the biggest treasure finds for anyone who goes magnet fishing is cash boxes and safes. These are often tossed into the water by criminals when stolen to dispose of the evidence. Sometimes they are not opened and contain money, jewellery and many other items!
- Tools are a pretty common find when magnet fishing for treasure.
This is just a small selection of some of the cool things that you can find. Now I do not want to make you think that you are going to be constantly be finding the above when magnet fishing. There is so much scrap metal in our waterways such as iron railing, bars, nuts and bolts ect, you will find a lot of scrap. This is all part of the fun though and it can be saved up and sold to the scrap yard as a way to make profit from magnet fishing.
These are the benefits of magnet fishing for treasure.
Magnet fishing for treasure has many different benefits for you and also the environment. I will list some of the benefits below.
- Magnet fishing is very good for your fitness. It can keep you very active as the magnets have to be thrown out into the water and then pulled back in over and over again.
- It is good for your mental wellbeing. There is nothing better than being out in the peace and quiet around a beautiful lake with all that fresh air around. You will always feel refreshed and invigorated after a magnet fishing trip.
- Magnet fishing is great for the environment, we help to clear all the rusty and rotting metals from the bottom. This is good for any plants that are there and also the aquatic life.
- Believe it or not magnet fishing is great for family bonding. Kids absolutely love going magnet fishing especially when they think there is a chance to find treasure. Just make sure they wear good quality gloves and check that they are not pulling in anything dangerous.
Is magnet fishing for treasure expensive?
Magnet fishing is not very expensive at all as far as hobbies go. In actual fact you can pay off the costs of your equipment by selling your scrap metal to the scrap yard.
The magnets themselves are relatively cheap to buy ranging from $20-$80 depending on what pulling force and size you want. The rope is generally around $10 for a decent enough length of paracord or braided rope. That is all you need apart from a good pair of cut proof work gloves to stop you from getting cut and injured hands.
So as you can see magnet fishing is really quite cheap to get into. If you would like to see some of the equipment I recommend for magnet fishing for treasure then have a look at this blog post!
Who will enjoy magnet fishing for treasure?
This is the awesome thing about magnet fishing for treasure, anyone can enjoy it. It is kind of funny how people question why you would do such a thing but then they come down and give it a try with you and they are hooked.
Magnet Fishing is such an accessible hobby due to its super low start up costs and the fact that you can do it in any waterway ( check that it is legal in your state by reading this article)
I can guarantee that if you give it a try you will absolutely love it.
I really hope that this mini guide to magnet fishing for treasure has spurred you on to give the hobby a try. If you are still not convinced have a look around this website and I am sure there will be something to convince you.
If you have any questions or anything like that please do not hesitate to get in touch in the comments section and I will gladly help you the best that I can.
Until next time I wish you the best of luck and happy hunting.